Book Recommendations from March & April

All of us have heard countless times (maybe nearing the brink of annoyance) that to be a good writer you should read and read and read and read and reeeeeeaaaaaddd. Despite the repetition of this sentiment, it is true. Well it's been two months and I finally have my second set of recommended reads. :)
Photo by Nicole Honeywill on Unsplash
The Wonderling by Mira Bartok
Fantasy
This story centers around a Groundling given the name Number 13, (or Arthur as his dear friend, Trinket, later renames him) and a awful and mysterious home for Groundlings. The writing style is very classic and lovely, and I can't praise the illustrations enough. 

Return of the Dapper Men by Jim McCan
Graphic Novel
This is a phenomenally illustrated 'comic' (though I don't really want to call it that. It was in a comic section in the library so...there you go). It is a story set in the town of Anorev--a place between time. Time has no meaning there. And no adults either. The entire population is divided among the machines (who live above ground and work all day) and children (who live underground and play all day). Until, the return of the Dapper Men.
The main characters, Ayden and Zoe (human boy and machine girl) are really adorable and have a great relationship. But what stands out more than anything in the book is the illustrations on every page which are absolutely phenomenal.

Daughter of the Lilies by Meg Syv on Hiveworks 
Fantasy Webcomic
(Is this allowed to count? I'm gonna say yes. This counts. It's a story nonetheless.) This is a absolutely fantastic webcomic with outstanding illustration. A friend recommended it to me last year, and it was absolutely fantastic. It centers around Thistle--a mage girl cursed with a pig face. The magic is fabulous and.....just go check it out. I will recommend it to the day I die.
(I've  linked the title)

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
Fantasy
People have been recommending Brandon Sanderson to me for ages and oh my gosh, I'm sorry I didn't pick him up until last week. I have to admit, when I first opened The Rithmatist I was a little thrown off by the renaming of the United States, and was kind of hemming and hawing about it, but once I actually began to read, I honestly couldn't put it down.
Joel is drawn to the magical art of Rithmatics but does not have the necessary gift to study them. However, Joel is one of those classic won't-give-uppers and persuades a Professor to teach him Rithmatic theory. The magic system is fabulous, and it's got some good old murder mystery in there too. 
Honestly I can't wait to binge read the rest of Sanderson's works. 

The Silver Spoon by Hiromu Arakawa
Manga Comic
I know this was on my last book recommendation, but I am now much farther into the series, and with a few volumes behind me, I recommend it as wholeheartedly as I ever could.

The comic follows Hachiken, a student at Ezo. Agricultural School. It's all about his hilarious experiences in the dairy science program and trying to discover what his dream for himself really is. The characters are absolutely awesome, and Hiromu Arakawa never ever fails to disappoint me.

<><><>

Yup. I know there were a lot of comic-type stories in this article, but between schoolwork, Easter and a brief battle with flu, I found them the most readily available and quite enjoyable. They are very un-intimidating and I find that I can make more room for them within my busy schedule. ;)

If you would like another article with film/show recommendations or you would like me to include some next time, lemme know. 

Alrighty. That's all for today, folks!

Dalriana

Let's Chat! 
1. Have you read any of these books? If so, what did you think? 
2. What are some of your recommendations from March and April?

Comments

  1. Fun! I'll have to read some of these, I've been in a bit of a reading slump recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had a reading slump in February. It kinda sucks. But I think all it takes to come back is one really entertaining book. Or a break. Ya never know. :P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Reinvigorate Your Creative

Dissociation with Writing

21 Old and Beautiful Male Names for Your Fiction Story