Introducing My NEW STORY

Heylo my literary dragons! (Should this nickname become a thing? I'm bordering on affirmative...). I know its been a hot...uhm...minute since I last existed on this blog. But contrary to unpopular belief I am still alive and kicking. AND on top of that, I've got a NEW STORY.
Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

I'll be giving a small introduction to it in this post. But here's a precursor (feel free to skip if bored):

I probably will not be posting consecutive chapters here on this blog. I may occasionally share exerts that I would a) like especial feedback on or b) am extraordinarily confident in. Most forthcoming posts that have to do with this project will be concerned with delving into the world and the story. WORLDBUILDING WHATNOT GALORE. You can expect interesting posts as I flesh out the culture, work out traditions, and all sorts of super fun detailed stuff including posts with special backstory-ish stuff on some of the characters. I would, however, absolutely appreciate any and all feedback I can get my creative little fingers on. Anyway, that is the basic idea. Whether or not my creativity changes the plan halfway through is an entirely different story. Enjoy! 

Alrighty! Here goes!

The Title: In Defense of Thieves 

Genre: Fantasy 

Main Character(Name): Nikos* 

The story follows a Nikos who is a young, kinda brazen (but good-natured) thief. He is part of a community of other chaotic-neutral thieves in the outer rings of the great city of Peor. Because of a dangerous dare, (in which Nikos bets his life into servitude) he is determined to sneak into the royal treasury and commit the greatest theft of all time. However, there are bigger things going on than Nikos (or even his one-eyed adversary) could have guessed. Including a community where most thieves tend to be generous people, a one-eyed and one-legged adversary, a cunning princess, a monarchical plot, intrigue, treachery, LOTS of humor and marbles, I hope you mildly excited with this brand-new project! 

I am including lots of fun elements in this story:

>Humor 
>Friendships
>Awkward situations (though not TOO cringey) 
>Action sequences (which I love but need improvement in)
>Reeaallyy fun dialogue (cause I'm a huge sucker for that) 
>Characters that are even more fun (cause I'm a GIGANTIC sucker for those) 
>And a lot more!

What sort of things you can expect: 
>Articles delving into the world and culture as I flesh these things out for myself 
>Posts on individual characters with special details that may or may not appear in the final manuscript
>Occasional (emphasis on 'occasional') exerts. 
>Widely experimental, CREATIVE and FUN stuff relating to worldbuilding as well as story writing 
>Lots of me headbanging and drinking my body weight in hot chocolate. 

I am also open to other suggestions on things you might like to hear about this new project.

Length:  
This will (hopefully) not be TOO long of a story. It was definitely meant for a single novel and I will not be considering a saga for it probably any time in the near or far future. 

One thing I would like to ask is, do you prefer "Nikos" spelled with a "k" or a "c" ? Or, rather, which do you think reads easier?

Nikos v. Nicos 
Whatcha think?

My main objective: 

I want to have fun with this tale. 

I believe that I took my last story FAR too seriously. I thought that it had to consist of certain things, to have such and such criteria, to  stab readers in the gut, to meet all these different standards. I pulled it limb from limb and worked it raw. Because of that, I have not written in nearly a year. 

In this story, I want it to be a little different. To try a new approach. I want to write the first draft (which I have begun already) without being TOO judgmental. I want to come at it from a point of view of creativity, and fun. Though I'm a little shaky in respects to my skill, I'm hoping that this will be the tale that I at last complete. One that I enjoy whether or not it turns out perfect. Which is, I believe, what I desperately need to come back to. 

I'm aware this is all rather vague, but don't worry! It will all come to revelation in future articles. 

I will not be abandoning other content just for this novel. I only plan to put out posts pertaining to this once a  month or so. Maybe more maybe less. 

I have also updated my posting schedule so feel free to check that out on the 'posting schedule' section on my homepage. ;) 

That's all for now, folks!

Dalriana

Let's Chat! 
1. Do you have any new/current projects you are excited about?
2. What do you believe were some key mistakes you made in previous projects that stopped you from completing them? 
3. What is your favorite way to approach a new project?

Comments

  1. *me when I saw an email update from Hollingsworth*
    rhgoairghoehgoiweghwiprgheirhg ahhhhhhuhfhoiewuhgufh!!!!!!
    *me when I read about your new story and immediately wanted to read it*
    rhgoairghoehgoiweghwiprgheirhg ahhhhhhuhfhoiewuhgufh!!!!!!

    I personally really like the way Niko sounds, and it reminds me of the Nike revolt which idk i think its cooool and i love this all sm and wowowwow i feel the inspo flowing :3

    Also I'm literally THE WORST when it comes to new/old projects. I always seem to find a hitch that holds me up and instead of working around it, I tend to quit entirely. If I don't quit on the spot, I vaguely remind myself of the projects existence every now and then until it eventually gets shoved to the back of my mind.... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! That warms my heart . Thanks for the feedback on the name spelling. I was literally at an impasse of sorts where I couldn't decide how to spell it consistently. XD

      Delete
  2. Nikos all the way!!!!! But seriously, whatever you like *shrugs* :)

    This is so exciting!!!! I'm so pumped to read everything :D

    I'm currently working on my novel/series(see my terrible posting schedule on my blog, my short story had to sadly take a backseat).
    I definitely am so happy that you are having fun with this novel, I am a firm believer in writing for fun and because its fun. I'm currently taking a Creative Writing class which although insightful, has definitely made me appreciate writing for fun. Everything is deadlines and grades now. (Its still a great class though, don't misunderstand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really do like the "k" . :) Yeah, I've missed your installments lately 😭 but I understand that sometimes people get busy and sometimes people just can't write, so no judgement .
      I agree. I've always been a little wary of creative writing classes because Im afraid they will take the fun out of writing forever basically, but I know that's ridiculous! Lol. I'm glad you are getting some insight out of it and are learning from it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things to Reinvigorate Your Creative

Dissociation with Writing

21 Old and Beautiful Male Names for Your Fiction Story